Montachusett Regional Vocational Technical School District
1050 Westminster Street
Fitchburg, MA 01420
Phone: (978) 345-9200 Ext. 5205
Dear Students, Parents, Guardians and Friends of Monty Tech,
Where has the time gone? Can you believe that it is already February?! Yes, without trying to jinx us, we have had a fairly mild winter so that has kept the year moving, but the reality is that I think the year is going by so quickly because of all the things that we have going on at Monty Tech.
If I could cite some highlights –
- We continue to move forward on our 1:1 Chromebook initiative and, while we have experienced some first year glitches, we continue to marvel at the wonderful ways our instructors are using our wonderful new instructional technology.
- We experienced our first Monty Tech band concerts in many years as our musical partnership with Leominster High School continues to blossom. In fact, information will soon go out regarding our upcoming Spring Concerts to be performed in April.
- In November, we opened the doors of our newly renovated gym to our winter sports teams. It is exciting to finally have a gym that reflects our team colors, mascot and school spirit!
- Currently, we have over 110 Seniors and, soon, Juniors out on Co-op. This is a significant jump for this time of year and the numbers will only increase as more Juniors become eligible.
- Of course, I would be remiss if I did not mention the ongoing efforts of all of our construction trades – House Carpentry, Electrical, Plumbing, Cabinetmaking, Masonry, Welding/Metal Fab. and HVAC/Property Maintenance – to build our veterinary clinic which we hope to open during the 2017-18 school year.
These are just a few of the major initiatives that have been ongoing throughout the first half of the year. However, we have many important events coming soon. For example, during February, some students will participate in the MCAS Science Retest on Feb. 6-7th . I am very happy to announce that following the MCAS Math Retest in November, all students passed meaning we currently have no students who need to make up either the Math or ELA MCAS exam.
For all our community business partners, I should also note that we will be holding our annual Winter Program Advisory Meeting on February 8th .
Later in the month, Monty Tech will have a special guest coming to speak to all of our students as Chris Gardner will be visiting campus to share his life experiences. Mr. Gardner was the subject of the movie The Pursuit of Happiness as his life story was portrayed by actor Will Smith. The entire school will watch the film on Feb. 17th and then Mr. Gardner will speak to the students on Feb. 27th . Of course these dates wrap around our February vacation week which occurs from Feb. 18th until Feb. 26th .
In addition this month, I urge all members of the Monty Tech Community to come see one of the Drama Club’s performances of our annual musical. This year’s show is Sister Act with an afternoon show at 3:30pm on Feb. 17th and two performances of Feb. 18th at 2:00pm and 7:00pm.
Lastly, with February being a short month, I want to remind everyone that several major events will happen in March as well including the the district SkillsUSA Competition at Bay Path Regional Vocational School will happen on March 15th . If you have any questions about the competition, I would ask that you contact one of our SkillsUSA advisors AnneMarie Cataldo, Mike Forhan or Brad Pelletier. Please note that there is a half professional development day on March 17th with dismissal at 11:00am. Also, we will hold the ELA MCAS Exam for the Class of 2019 on March 21-23rd . Of course, we also will be hosting our annual Open House for the community on Tuesday, March 14th .
As you can see, even though we are struggling through the grey days of winter, there are still lots of things happening at Monty Tech, and we hope to keep everyone up to date as more events arise.
Montachusett Regional Vocational Technical School
Videos and Podcasts